2012 Forty Under 40 Winner: Anthony Nguyen
Friday, March 16, 2012 7:00 AM
Age 32 | Assistant vice president/ bank manager, Wells Fargo Bank NA
For Tony Nguyen, helping people to succeed financially is his way of giving back through his career. He’s equally dedicated to helping others in the community.
The older of two sons born to first-generation immigrants from Vietnam, Nguyen recalls how others’ generosity enabled him to succeed from an early age in Des Moines.
“We went to Catholic schools, not because we could afford it, but because others lent a helping hand to get us up and going,” he said.
After graduating from Drake University, Nguyen began his career at Wells Fargo Home Mortgage Inc. in 2003 as a mortgage closer. In the past nine years, he has been promoted four times within the company, most recently to manager of Wells Fargo’s Urbandale branch. He is involved in numerous civic and volunteer organizations, among them the Iowa Asian Alliance as its current chairman.
“He is earnest and thoughtful about all that he does,” wrote Christopher McDonald, senior counsel with Aviva USA, and San Wong, director of the Iowa Department of Human Rights, in a nomination letter. “This, coupled with his affable and collaborative nature, has earned him a reputation for being a strong and inspirational leader who is able to motivate and mobilize others into action.”
He was elected to the board of the Iowa Asian Alliance in 2008 and last year was chosen to lead the organization as its chairman.
“Tony’s leadership style of collaboration is a culture that is creating new ideas,” wrote Stanley Lam, who serves with Nguyen on the Asian Alliance’s board. “With his vision, we have already created a more defined mission where community outreach is a focus.”
Nguyen said community involvement gives him a lot of enjoyment.
“It’s really helping others to grow in their careers,” he said.
Nguyen met the woman he later married, Arin, at Drake. They have a daughter, Maddie.
Five reasons he’s a 40:
• Rapidly promoted to increasingly responsible roles in his profession.
• Serves as chairman of the board of the Iowa Asian Alliance.
• Member of Wells Fargo President’s Council.
• Received Wells Fargo’s Retailer Impact Award for 2011.
• Board member of the Central Iowa Leadership Committee.
He’s a black belt in tae kwon do. Though he doesn’t practice martial arts anymore, “I bet I could still do a couple of moves.”
Meet the 2012 Forty Under 40 Honorees
• Michael Abbott - Faegre Baker Daniels LLP
• Sondra Ashmore - IBM Corp.
• Shannon Baird - JE Dunn Construction Co.
• J. Eric Boehlert - Ahlers & Cooney P.C.
• Nataliya Boychenko - Holmes Murphy and Associates Inc.
• Becki Brommel - BrownWinick
• Catherine Cownie - BrownWinick
• Spencer Cox - Vending Services Inc.
• Scott Crawford - RDG Planning & Design
• Tony Dickinson - Wells Fargo Bank
• Shannon Duval - Mercy Foundation
• Meg Fitz - Greater Des Moines Partnership
• Tim Hayes - McLellan Marketing Group
• Christi Hegstad - MAP Professional Development Inc.
• Naura Heiman Godar - StruXture Architects LLC
• Danielle Hermann - OPN Architects Inc.
• Sara Kobilka - Science Center of Iowa
• Liz Lidgett - Kum & Go LC
• Holly Logan - Weinhardt & Logan P.C.
• Matthew Marckmann - Morgan Stanley Smith Barney
• Bryan Michael - Pioneer Hi-Bred International Inc.
• Ben Milne - Dwolla Corp.
• Suzanne Mineck - Mid-Iowa Health Foundation
• Nikki Miras Mordini - Davis Brown Law Firm
• David Nelmark - Belin McCormick P.C.
• Anthony Nguyen - Wells Fargo Bank
• Lynh Nguyen Patterson - Delta Dental of Iowa
• Matt Nuetzman - InFocus Partners
• Brad Phillips - Farm Bureau Financial Services
• Tina Potthoff - MidAmerican Energy Co.
• Erin Schneider - Censeo Solutions Inc.
• Steve SchraderBachar - Wells Fargo Home Mortgage Inc.
• Jamie Schug - Des Moines Area Regional Transit Authority
• Kristina Stanger - Nyemaster Goode P.C.
• Nate Stewart - Perishable Distributors of Iowa Ltd.
• Jason Stone - Davis Brown Law Firm
• Mellisa Stover - Bankers Trust Co.
• Tray Wade - Hospice of Central Iowa
• Eric Wieland - Federal Emergency Management Agency
• Geoff Wood - Silicon Prairie News
The Depot at 4th, 100 4th Street, Des Moines, Iowa 50309 | (515) 288-3336 | © 2012 Business Record. All Rights Reserved. | Legal disclaimer