2012 Forty Under 40 Winner: Katie Cownie
Friday, March 16, 2012 7:00 AM
Age 36 | Attorney, Brown Winick law firm
Catherine Cownie is an attorney who has developed an expertise in complex corporate securities law. She knows her way around the biofuels industry, too, but it is her work in health care that delivers a personal touch to her practice.
Cownie works with hospitals and health-care organizations in licensing and regulatory matters. That sounds dull, but it puts her in touch with the people who benefit from having radiation therapy approved in their small-town medical facility.
“People tell their real-life stories,” Cownie said. “Radiation therapy is a good example, because someone might have to drive one hour one way every day for six weeks. You see something at the end, and you see that it actually helps people’s everyday lives.”
Family ranks No. 1 on Cownie’s list of priorities. She is married to Damien Lock and has a daughter, Meg, 3. Her most notable accomplishments are being a good mother and wife, and helping all of her family, she said.
Cownie also is active in the community. She is on the executive board of the Des Moines Social Club, a board member of Youth Homes of Mid-America and a member of the Greater Des Moines Partnership’s “Do More in the City” planning committee. She helped establish the Iowa Mission of Mercy for the Iowa Dental Foundation.
Christopher Sackett, managing member of BrownWinick, wrote in a nominating letter that Cownie “frequently devotes her time and efforts to public interest causes.”
Five reasons she’s a 40:
• Raised $12,000 for the Young Women’s Resource Center as co-chair of Polk County Women Attorneys Basket Auction committee.
• Greater Des Moines Partnership Do More in the City committee.
• Youth Homes of Mid-America board member.
• Des Moines Social Club executive board.
• Helped establish the Iowa Mission of Mercy for the Iowa Dental Foundation.
“My favorite activity is go home on Friday evening and read my People magazine subscription. It’s cheaper if you subscribe.”
Meet the 2012 Forty Under 40 Honorees
• Michael Abbott - Faegre Baker Daniels LLP
• Sondra Ashmore - IBM Corp.
• Shannon Baird - JE Dunn Construction Co.
• J. Eric Boehlert - Ahlers & Cooney P.C.
• Nataliya Boychenko - Holmes Murphy and Associates Inc.
• Becki Brommel - BrownWinick
• Catherine Cownie - BrownWinick
• Spencer Cox - Vending Services Inc.
• Scott Crawford - RDG Planning & Design
• Tony Dickinson - Wells Fargo Bank
• Shannon Duval - Mercy Foundation
• Meg Fitz - Greater Des Moines Partnership
• Tim Hayes - McLellan Marketing Group
• Christi Hegstad - MAP Professional Development Inc.
• Naura Heiman Godar - StruXture Architects LLC
• Danielle Hermann - OPN Architects Inc.
• Sara Kobilka - Science Center of Iowa
• Liz Lidgett - Kum & Go LC
• Holly Logan - Weinhardt & Logan P.C.
• Matthew Marckmann - Morgan Stanley Smith Barney
• Bryan Michael - Pioneer Hi-Bred International Inc.
• Ben Milne - Dwolla Corp.
• Suzanne Mineck - Mid-Iowa Health Foundation
• Nikki Miras Mordini - Davis Brown Law Firm
• David Nelmark - Belin McCormick P.C.
• Anthony Nguyen - Wells Fargo Bank
• Lynh Nguyen Patterson - Delta Dental of Iowa
• Matt Nuetzman - InFocus Partners
• Brad Phillips - Farm Bureau Financial Services
• Tina Potthoff - MidAmerican Energy Co.
• Erin Schneider - Censeo Solutions Inc.
• Steve SchraderBachar - Wells Fargo Home Mortgage Inc.
• Jamie Schug - Des Moines Area Regional Transit Authority
• Kristina Stanger - Nyemaster Goode P.C.
• Nate Stewart - Perishable Distributors of Iowa Ltd.
• Jason Stone - Davis Brown Law Firm
• Mellisa Stover - Bankers Trust Co.
• Tray Wade - Hospice of Central Iowa
• Eric Wieland - Federal Emergency Management Agency
• Geoff Wood - Silicon Prairie News
The Depot at 4th, 100 4th Street, Des Moines, Iowa 50309 | (515) 288-3336 | © 2012 Business Record. All Rights Reserved. | Legal disclaimer