2012 Forty Under 40 Winner: Melissa Stover
Friday, March 16, 2012 7:00 AM
Age 39 | Vice president, Bankers Trust Co.
Melissa Stover has the perspective of someone who was raised in Greater Des Moines and moved away, but then chose to return.
“I knew this was such a good place for raising a family, to invest our human capital back here,” she said.
Stover went to work for Bankers Trust Co. immediately after graduating from Drake Law School, rapidly advancing to corporate trust officer. She moved to Colorado to a similar position at a bank there, but returned after a couple of years to Bankers Trust.
A certified corporate trust specialist, Stover said she enjoys working with municipalities and school districts as a partner in financing community improvements. The bank has expanded its corporate trust services to an 11-state region, “so developing the business in those states is something I’m involved in,” she said. “Not a lot of entities are doing this, so we have a whole lot of opportunities for growth.”
As a single mother raising three boys, many of her volunteer commitments involve their activities. “I’m looking for ways they can learn to become involved and instill that in them,” she said. She is active at St. Francis of Assisi Church and School, where she serves in the parent-teacher organization and has taken a lead role in many fund-raising projects. She also volunteers as a homeroom parent, a Sunday school teacher and a Cub Scout den leader.
“Melissa is a sincere person with the utmost character and has a strong commitment to work, family and community,” wrote Cristina Kuhn, a partner at Dorsey & Whitney LLP who has worked with Stover. “She truly is one of those people that lights up a room with her energy and spirit.”
When facing new situations, Stover said she keeps in mind a saying she learned from her grandmother: “Nothing is ever as good or as bad as it seems at first.”
Five reasons she’s a 40:
• Key business leader in charge of a team of five trust officers.
• Instrumental in expanding trust operations of Bankers Trust to a multistate region.
• Displays integrity, responsibility and enthusiasm in her profession and volunteer activities.
• Active with numerous nonprofit organizations.
• Volunteers for St. Francis Assisi Church and School in several roles.
An ideal day is spending time together fishing and boating at the family’s lake house.
Meet the 2012 Forty Under 40 Honorees
• Michael Abbott - Faegre Baker Daniels LLP
• Sondra Ashmore - IBM Corp.
• Shannon Baird - JE Dunn Construction Co.
• J. Eric Boehlert - Ahlers & Cooney P.C.
• Nataliya Boychenko - Holmes Murphy and Associates Inc.
• Becki Brommel - BrownWinick
• Catherine Cownie - BrownWinick
• Spencer Cox - Vending Services Inc.
• Scott Crawford - RDG Planning & Design
• Tony Dickinson - Wells Fargo Bank
• Shannon Duval - Mercy Foundation
• Meg Fitz - Greater Des Moines Partnership
• Tim Hayes - McLellan Marketing Group
• Christi Hegstad - MAP Professional Development Inc.
• Naura Heiman Godar - StruXture Architects LLC
• Danielle Hermann - OPN Architects Inc.
• Sara Kobilka - Science Center of Iowa
• Liz Lidgett - Kum & Go LC
• Holly Logan - Weinhardt & Logan P.C.
• Matthew Marckmann - Morgan Stanley Smith Barney
• Bryan Michael - Pioneer Hi-Bred International Inc.
• Ben Milne - Dwolla Corp.
• Suzanne Mineck - Mid-Iowa Health Foundation
• Nikki Miras Mordini - Davis Brown Law Firm
• David Nelmark - Belin McCormick P.C.
• Anthony Nguyen - Wells Fargo Bank
• Lynh Nguyen Patterson - Delta Dental of Iowa
• Matt Nuetzman - InFocus Partners
• Brad Phillips - Farm Bureau Financial Services
• Tina Potthoff - MidAmerican Energy Co.
• Erin Schneider - Censeo Solutions Inc.
• Steve SchraderBachar - Wells Fargo Home Mortgage Inc.
• Jamie Schug - Des Moines Area Regional Transit Authority
• Kristina Stanger - Nyemaster Goode P.C.
• Nate Stewart - Perishable Distributors of Iowa Ltd.
• Jason Stone - Davis Brown Law Firm
• Melissa Stover - Bankers Trust Co.
• Tray Wade - Hospice of Central Iowa
• Eric Wieland - Federal Emergency Management Agency
• Geoff Wood - Silicon Prairie News
The Depot at 4th, 100 4th Street, Des Moines, Iowa 50309 | (515) 288-3336 | © 2016 Business Record. All Rights Reserved. | Legal disclaimer
Software © 1998-2016 1up! Software,
All Rights Reserved