2012 Forty Under 40 Winner: Nataliya Boychenko
Friday, March 16, 2012 7:00 AM
Age 27 | Client service executive, Holmes Murphy and Associates Inc.
When Nataliya Boychenko was 17 years old, she came to Iowa from Ukraine in search of the American dream.
Needless to say, she found it. Boychenko is now a client service executive for Holmes Murphy and Associates Inc., where she advises businesses on employee benefits. She counsels her clients about trends and changes to health care and dental plans. She is also on her way to earning an M.B.A. from Drake University.
Boychenko said part of the reason she chose to move to Iowa was its similarity to Ukraine, pointing out that both places have a strong focus on agriculture. Another deciding factor was her mother’s fear of her moving to a big city.
Although it’s different than she imagined, Boychenko said she quickly fell in love with Des Moines, saying the people and the pace of the city persuaded her not to leave.
She started out her life in Iowa at Des Moines Area Community College (DMACC) before transferring to Drake. She also worked for Wells Fargo Bank in Des Moines as a small business specialist before joining Holmes Murphy in 2006.
During her tenure at Holmes Murphy, Boychenko has earned three insurance designations and two brokerage licenses. She said finding the time was challenging, but she looked at it as an extension of the job.
Boychenko is fluent in three languages – English, Ukrainian and Russian – a skill that allows her to be a volunteer interpreter for Camp Hope, a nonprofit organization that helps place older Russian orphans with adoptive families in Iowa.
She helps the children make their transitions and acts as a liaison between them and their new families.
“Just being able to help these children, because you know there is no future for them in Russia – the girls would most likely turn to prostitution, and the boys would probably have to join the army. Helping them find families and changing their lives is incredible,” she said.
Five reasons she’s a 40:
• Volunteer interpreter for Camp Hope, a nonprofit group that helps find adoptive families for Russian orphans.
• Graduate of the 2011 Greater Des Moines Leadership Institute class and now a curriculum committee member.
• Graduate of the 2011 Holmes Murphy Leadership Institute. Boychenko was handpicked to participate.
• Currently working toward earning an M.B.A. from Drake University while working full time.
• While working full time, Boychenko earned three insurance designations (CEBS, GBA and RPA) and two brokerage licenses (Series 7 and Series 66).
Four years ago Boychenko’s older sister, Lesya, went from being thousands of miles away to only a few blocks away. “Having your family here is just wonderful,” she said. “She really is my best friend.”
Meet the 2012 Forty Under 40 Honorees
• Michael Abbott - Faegre Baker Daniels LLP
• Sondra Ashmore - IBM Corp.
• Shannon Baird - JE Dunn Construction Co.
• J. Eric Boehlert - Ahlers & Cooney P.C.
• Nataliya Boychenko - Holmes Murphy and Associates Inc.
• Becki Brommel - BrownWinick
• Catherine Cownie - BrownWinick
• Spencer Cox - Vending Services Inc.
• Scott Crawford - RDG Planning & Design
• Tony Dickinson - Wells Fargo Bank
• Shannon Duval - Mercy Foundation
• Meg Fitz - Greater Des Moines Partnership
• Tim Hayes - McLellan Marketing Group
• Christi Hegstad - MAP Professional Development Inc.
• Naura Heiman Godar - StruXture Architects LLC
• Danielle Hermann - OPN Architects Inc.
• Sara Kobilka - Science Center of Iowa
• Liz Lidgett - Kum & Go LC
• Holly Logan - Weinhardt & Logan P.C.
• Matthew Marckmann - Morgan Stanley Smith Barney
• Bryan Michael - Pioneer Hi-Bred International Inc.
• Ben Milne - Dwolla Corp.
• Suzanne Mineck - Mid-Iowa Health Foundation
• Nikki Miras Mordini - Davis Brown Law Firm
• David Nelmark - Belin McCormick P.C.
• Anthony Nguyen - Wells Fargo Bank
• Lynh Nguyen Patterson - Delta Dental of Iowa
• Matt Nuetzman - InFocus Partners
• Brad Phillips - Farm Bureau Financial Services
• Tina Potthoff - MidAmerican Energy Co.
• Erin Schneider - Censeo Solutions Inc.
• Steve SchraderBachar - Wells Fargo Home Mortgage Inc.
• Jamie Schug - Des Moines Area Regional Transit Authority
• Kristina Stanger - Nyemaster Goode P.C.
• Nate Stewart - Perishable Distributors of Iowa Ltd.
• Jason Stone - Davis Brown Law Firm
• Mellisa Stover - Bankers Trust Co.
• Tray Wade - Hospice of Central Iowa
• Eric Wieland - Federal Emergency Management Agency
• Geoff Wood - Silicon Prairie News
The Depot at 4th, 100 4th Street, Des Moines, Iowa 50309 | (515) 288-3336 | © 2016 Business Record. All Rights Reserved. | Legal disclaimer