2012 Forty Under 40 Winner: Naura Heiman Godar
Friday, March 16, 2012 7:00 AM
Age 34 | Project architect, StruXture Architects LLC
One thing about Naura Heiman Godar is for certain: If she were a baker, she wouldn’t put all of her cookies in one basket.
She has managed to throw a lot of ingredients into her life. Godar went to the University of Northern Iowa, primarily because her parents promoted Iowa State University.
After two years, she was at ISU, earning degrees in architecture – she should have recognized a propensity for design early, but she didn’t, she said – and psychology. Psychology so she would have something to fall back on, such as being a counselor.
Godar also minored in dance, and although she isn’t a counselor, she does teach dance classes.
It all ties together, she said.
For example, Godar worked at Hickory Park Restaurant Co. while attending ISU, and that experience – filling spaces, for example – has helped in her career.
Godar also is busy in the community. She helped Preservation Iowa enter into a partnership with the National Trust for Historic Preservation, said Kris Gray of the West Des Moines Leadership Academy. She is a member of Iowa Citizens for Community Improvement, a member of the board of the Central Iowa chapter of the American Diabetes Association and a recipient of the Governor’s Volunteer Award.
Godar is a movie buff. Her husband, Ben, is a screenwriter. Her most significant achievement is her son, Henry, 4.
“A former boss said once that I could design the most beautiful building in the world, but there is nothing more beautiful than a child,” she said.
Five reasons she’s a 40:
• Son, Henry, 4.
• Involved in the design of Waikiki Beach Walk in Honolulu.
• President of Preservation Iowa.
• Member of Iowa Citizens for Community Improvement.
• “I work hard to be proud of everything I do.”
Movie buff who, with her husband, Ben, recently viewed eight documentaries in three days.
Meet the 2012 Forty Under 40 Honorees
• Michael Abbott - Faegre Baker Daniels LLP
• Sondra Ashmore - IBM Corp.
• Shannon Baird - JE Dunn Construction Co.
• J. Eric Boehlert - Ahlers & Cooney P.C.
• Nataliya Boychenko - Holmes Murphy and Associates Inc.
• Becki Brommel - BrownWinick
• Catherine Cownie - BrownWinick
• Spencer Cox - Vending Services Inc.
• Scott Crawford - RDG Planning & Design
• Tony Dickinson - Wells Fargo Bank
• Shannon Duval - Mercy Foundation
• Meg Fitz - Greater Des Moines Partnership
• Tim Hayes - McLellan Marketing Group
• Christi Hegstad - MAP Professional Development Inc.
• Naura Heiman Godar - StruXture Architects LLC
• Danielle Hermann - OPN Architects Inc.
• Sara Kobilka - Science Center of Iowa
• Liz Lidgett - Kum & Go LC
• Holly Logan - Weinhardt & Logan P.C.
• Matthew Marckmann - Morgan Stanley Smith Barney
• Bryan Michael - Pioneer Hi-Bred International Inc.
• Ben Milne - Dwolla Corp.
• Suzanne Mineck - Mid-Iowa Health Foundation
• Nikki Miras Mordini - Davis Brown Law Firm
• David Nelmark - Belin McCormick P.C.
• Anthony Nguyen - Wells Fargo Bank
• Lynh Nguyen Patterson - Delta Dental of Iowa
• Matt Nuetzman - InFocus Partners
• Brad Phillips - Farm Bureau Financial Services
• Tina Potthoff - MidAmerican Energy Co.
• Erin Schneider - Censeo Solutions Inc.
• Steve SchraderBachar - Wells Fargo Home Mortgage Inc.
• Jamie Schug - Des Moines Area Regional Transit Authority
• Kristina Stanger - Nyemaster Goode P.C.
• Nate Stewart - Perishable Distributors of Iowa Ltd.
• Jason Stone - Davis Brown Law Firm
• Mellisa Stover - Bankers Trust Co.
• Tray Wade - Hospice of Central Iowa
• Eric Wieland - Federal Emergency Management Agency
• Geoff Wood - Silicon Prairie News
The Depot at 4th, 100 4th Street, Des Moines, Iowa 50309 | (515) 288-3336 | © 2015 Business Record. All Rights Reserved. | Legal disclaimer