2012 Forty Under 40 Winner: Tina Potthoff
Friday, March 16, 2012 7:00 AM
Age 35 | Media relations manager, MidAmerican Energy Co.
Tina Potthoff was working as a spokesperson for the Iowa Lottery when the governor’s office asked her to join the Rebuild Iowa Office to assist in the state’s efforts to recover from the 2008 floods. “I was a little reluctant to go at first,” recalled Potthoff, who was assured the assignment was temporary. “But oddly enough, I fell in love with it and ended up asking to stay.” She remained with Rebuild Iowa as its public information officer for nearly its entire existence before leaving in November 2010 to join MidAmerican Energy Co.
One of her first duties as MidAmerican’s media relations manager, as it turned out, was working with areas affected by the 2011 floods.
A St. Louis native, Potthoff earned a business degree in marketing and television from the University of Notre Dame. She landed her first journalism job as a reporter and fill-in morning anchor with a television station in Monroe, La. After stints at a radio and TV station in Joplin, Mo., an opening for a midday anchor and reporter with WOI-TV brought her to Des Moines in 2002. In late 2005, she made the switch from broadcasting to media relations with the Iowa Lottery.
One of her favorite volunteer activities is working with students from about 60 high schools as the Nebraska-Iowa Key Club district administrator. “It’s really inspiring to see the transformation these kids make being on the board,” Potthoff said. “They go from being very introverted to being speakers at their graduation and incredible seniors that get scholarships.”
She and her husband, Kent Pollpeter, have a 19-month-old daughter, Anna, and enjoy volunteering at Lutheran Church of Hope.
Five reasons she’s a 40:
• Organized energy efficiency community events for Homes of Oakridge and I’ll Make Me a World in Iowa.
• Volunteered to host international visitors through the Iowa International Center.
• Member of the 2010-2011 Leadership Iowa class.
• Served on boards of Leadership Iowa and Safeguard Iowa Partnership in marketing roles.
Potthoff ran two marathons to raise money for the Des Moines Leukemia and Lymphoma Society; both of her parents are cancer survivors.
Meet the 2012 Forty Under 40 Honorees
• Michael Abbott - Faegre Baker Daniels LLP
• Sondra Ashmore - IBM Corp.
• Shannon Baird - JE Dunn Construction Co.
• J. Eric Boehlert - Ahlers & Cooney P.C.
• Nataliya Boychenko - Holmes Murphy and Associates Inc.
• Becki Brommel - BrownWinick
• Catherine Cownie - BrownWinick
• Spencer Cox - Vending Services Inc.
• Scott Crawford - RDG Planning & Design
• Tony Dickinson - Wells Fargo Bank
• Shannon Duval - Mercy Foundation
• Meg Fitz - Greater Des Moines Partnership
• Tim Hayes - McLellan Marketing Group
• Christi Hegstad - MAP Professional Development Inc.
• Naura Heiman Godar - StruXture Architects LLC
• Danielle Hermann - OPN Architects Inc.
• Sara Kobilka - Science Center of Iowa
• Liz Lidgett - Kum & Go LC
• Holly Logan - Weinhardt & Logan P.C.
• Matthew Marckmann - Morgan Stanley Smith Barney
• Bryan Michael - Pioneer Hi-Bred International Inc.
• Ben Milne - Dwolla Corp.
• Suzanne Mineck - Mid-Iowa Health Foundation
• Nikki Miras Mordini - Davis Brown Law Firm
• David Nelmark - Belin McCormick P.C.
• Anthony Nguyen - Wells Fargo Bank
• Lynh Nguyen Patterson - Delta Dental of Iowa
• Matt Nuetzman - InFocus Partners
• Brad Phillips - Farm Bureau Financial Services
• Tina Potthoff - MidAmerican Energy Co.
• Erin Schneider - Censeo Solutions Inc.
• Steve SchraderBachar - Wells Fargo Home Mortgage Inc.
• Jamie Schug - Des Moines Area Regional Transit Authority
• Kristina Stanger - Nyemaster Goode P.C.
• Nate Stewart - Perishable Distributors of Iowa Ltd.
• Jason Stone - Davis Brown Law Firm
• Mellisa Stover - Bankers Trust Co.
• Tray Wade - Hospice of Central Iowa
• Eric Wieland - Federal Emergency Management Agency
• Geoff Wood - Silicon Prairie News
The Depot at 4th, 100 4th Street, Des Moines, Iowa 50309 | (515) 288-3336 | © 2012 Business Record. All Rights Reserved. | Legal disclaimer