About Connie Wimer
Monday, November 08, 2010 11:45 AM
Connie Wimer was born in Merrill, Iowa, a small town in northwest Iowa and attended Morningside College. She moved to Des Moines in 1950 and it is here in Des Moines she earned her reputation as a competent, caring and sharing business leader. Connie was the owner and President of Iowa Title Company from 1976 until 1985 when she sold it to Amerus, but continued as President until 2001.
In 1981 she purchased a small legal paper with a circulation of 700. In 1983 she expanded the publication starting the Des Moines Business Record which now has a weekly readership of more than 20,000 as well as additional publications including, dsm Magazine, See Des Moines, the Business Record Daily, the Book of Lists, the Annual Real Estate Magazine and many others. Business Publications Corporation now has 30 employees. Additionally, she created a number of annual events, including Women of Influence and Forty under 40, recognizing women and young people who contribute to the community.
In addition to the publishing business, she sits on a number of business and charitable boards. She founded Winefest Des Moines and was the first woman to chair the Des Moines Chamber Federation as well as the first woman to chair the National Alliance of Area Business Publications. She is the only woman to receive the Alliance’s Lewis M. Conn Award for outstanding contributions to the business publications industry. She was the first woman elected to the Greater Des Moines Committee’s Business Hall of Fame in 2002 from the Greater Des Moines Committee and has also been named Master Editor/Publisher by the Iowa Newspaper Association and was chosen to be in the Iowa Woman's Hall of Fame.
She has received many other awards, including the YWCA Woman of Achievement, the Des Moines Chamber’s Small Business Person of the Year, Young Women’s Resource Center’s “Visionary Women”, Business and Professional Women’s Woman of the Year, Junior Achievement’s Hall of Achievement and Variety Club’s Humanitarian Award.
She has three daughters, two of whom live in Des Moines and one in Chicago. She is married to Frank Fogarty who is retired from his career in South America with Coca Cola.
• 1980 Women–in–Business: Small Business Advocate of the Year – SBA
• 1982 Beta Gamma Sigma (Drake University Business School Honor Society) Business Person of the Year
• 1983 YWCA women of Achievement Award
• 1983 Employers Golden Key Award, Indianola Chapter, Business and Professional Women
• 1984 Media Advocate of the Year, SBA
• 1986 Drake University Media “Masters” Award
• 1986 Women in Communications “CORA” Award
• 1987 Greater Des Moines Chamber of Commerce Federation Small Business Person of the Year
• 1991 Young Women’s Resource Center “Visionary Women” Award
• 1997 Woman of the Year, Des Moines Chapter, Business and Professional Women
• 2002 Greater Des Moines Committee Business Hall of Fame recipient
• 2003 Hall of Achievement Award from Jr. Achievement of Central Iowa
• 2005 Variety Club’s Humanitarian Award
• 2006 Master Editor/Publisher by the Iowa Newspaper Association
• 2006 Lewis M. Conn Award – For Outstanding Contributions to the Alliance of Area Business Publications.
• 2007 Iowa Women’s Hall of Fame inductee
• 2007 Association of Fundraising Professional’s Outstanding Volunteer Fundraiser Award
• 2009 Connie Wimer Spirit Award
The Depot at 4th, 100 4th Street, Des Moines, Iowa 50309 | (515) 288-3336 | © 2016 Business Record. All Rights Reserved. | Legal disclaimer